Got a Sonoff Wifi Smart Switch to work with my Google Home
The video below shows me using voice control through my Google Home to remotely switch an extension lead on and off, and to query whether it is in the on or off state. The actual Google Home pairing took less than a minute but the setup of the switch had me a bit challenged. The problem with pairing the switch to my home router was that it kept failing - the short answer is: put the phone into aeroplane mode with Wifi on, and it works flawlessly.
I've posted a few screenshots also at https://www.flickr.com/photos/dvdmerwe/albums/72157691336221165. All in all I'm very impressed with this switch and I'm definately getting a few more. Some of the things it will do are:
1. Switch on or off using the mobile phone app (or a homescreen widget which also shows the switch status).
2. Use Google Home or Siri to switch it on or off, or query status, with your voice.
3. Create a schedule of times to turn it on or off (easily replaces any normal timer switch).
4. Basic timer to countdown to turning off or on.
5. Loop timer to setup schedules to for example turn a pump on for a time and have it off for a time, and to repeat the cycle.
6. Can share control of the switch to another user.
7. As it connects to the cloud you should be able to control it from anywhere in the world.
8. It works on 220V 50Hz but will also work in the USA on 110V. 10A current is good enough to control a wide variety of devices. The nice thing is this switch is also available in most countries around the world.
9. There are also fancier versions of the switch that give additional information. See https://www.itead.cc/wiki/EWeLink_Introduction for some of these as well as further information on its different modes.
Watch the video at https://youtu.be/Fd6EdJJo_R4